Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Dee's question answered

Ok Dee asked about the "envelope" so here is the answer, plus some...


When you do IUI at the clinic and Dr I go through, you go into the main part of the hospital to the IVF unit for meds, and the seman prep.
So John does what he needs to do there and a couple of hours later I go to the unit and collect the prepped seman sample and an envelope containing the information about the seman sample. So the count, motility, abnormal sperm, concentration, volume ect. All the important info. And it has the comparision results from previous cycles on it as well.
I then take the envelope and a plastic bag containing the vial of prepped seman up to my Drs room where the procedure takes place. This seman sample is kept at body temprature, so in my bra it goes.
The procedure is very much like a papsmear. In that the duck bill thingy (ok I am not sure as to it's proper name but I always remember the school nurse calling it a duck bill LOL.) is inserted into the vagina so the Dr can veiw the cervics. He then draws up the sample in to a seryinge that has a fine catheter attached to it. this fine catheter is then insered through the cervics (which if all things are timed right should be open enough for this to pass through painlessly) and into the uterus. The sample is then injected in.
I then lay still for about 10minuets and get up and go about my day... Than the instruction is, in my Dr's words, Don't forget to tap John on the shoulder tonight... ROLF.
Ok so that is all said and done, what next??
Next week I will have a 7DPIUI progesterone blood test. One week later I get to do a pregnancy test if my period has not arrived, the progesterone test results will also give a clearer picture to see if it is worth doing as well. There is absolutely no testing early either this time.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that's cool.
    Thanks for explaining to me, for someone who did IVF I sure am clueless to the other types of fertility treatments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is ok Dee. The IVF cycle you did wasn't quiet the norm there either.

    ReplyDelete