Thursday, March 3, 2011

Dummy be gone

Firstly I have to put the disclaimer out here, this is not my origional idea in how to get rid of the dummy from your toddler. But thanks to the blog world I have found the idea of how to do so from the mum (mom) of tripplets.

I thought it was time. I was over seeing the salvia rash on his sweet face and he only ever had it at home (for mostly sleeping/nap time) or when went to church. So Tuesday after nap time we had a little chat about giving his dummies to all the under privalaged children who did not have dummies. I made a game about it. I got one of his shoe boxes, we pulled the bed away from the wall and got any that were living with the dust bunnies down the back of the bed.

We then headed to the fridge and got them from the container in the door. I cleaned out my handbags and his nappy bags. So all of them were collected and the dummy chains as well. We placed them in a box and then I put the box in a bag on his door. slowly than moved the box (through out the afternoon) more and more out of sight.

Since doing this he has asked for a drink at bed time. In this heat happy to oblige him. But I am starting to wonder (after this was 2 nights running) if it is becuase a) he wants to comfort suck on something or b) becuase he is not comfort sucking he is actually more thirsty and recognises this now his stomach and brain are not confused by the sucking/chewing action of using the dummy.

I do have to say I was very anti dummy before and in the first 48hrs after having him. But then I had the baby who was born to suck and was actually drinking blood rather than milk before my milk supply kind of came in. (He still did not get a dummy until he had been home for 24hrs, so he was nearly a week old.) So it has been a long time coming to ditch these things. Even if they did save my sanity on more than one ot 12 occasions.

Night one. No majour issues.
night two. Night mareish.
night three. wait and see.

But I will not relent. I will not go back wards in this step. Even on the trip to Sydney in two weeks time. (more on that to come.) Now who wants to tell my inlaws there is no going back wards and giving him the dummy back.

No comments:

Post a Comment