Monday, March 7, 2011

Not so helpful.

I am sure I am not the only parent who has received comments that are not so helpful. This happens to me just about every time I leave the house with Mr T. So I might share a couple of my favourites:

I bet you wish he was a twin or triplet. This came from a newsagent owner who watched me deal with a two year old tantrum whilst trying to find a simple gift box. This also was a man who said this. My response: What are you trying to put me in an institution? This only happened last week, but boy it is my favourite comment to date and I am not so sure I am looking forward to the one that tops it.

Isn't he nice and active little boy. This is the typical comment and I generally receive this one daily. Yes he is active. Some days I would like him a little less active. (But I have learnt not to say this out loud, becuase boys are meant to be robust and you don't want one that sits still and does as he is told.) Because it would be nice to be able to take him out and public and not worry about him running off on me.

I am sure there are many more. But this is my education session. Not all mums want to hear your advice or unhelpful comments. If you see a mum who looks a little stressed and is trying to wrangle a toddler, it is not the time to let your verbal diarrhea spill from your mouth. It is the time to offer a helping hand or just keep your mouth closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment